Nonconformist meetings commenced in Kettering around 1666 following the 1662 Act of Uniformity. It was at that time that Mr Maydwell, the Rector of Kettering, left the Parish Church to establish the Independent Meeting.
The first entry, undated, in the Old Church Book lists amongst its members a Mr William Wallis who, together with six other members, was dismissed from membership (29th October 1696) for being an Anabaptist. These men set up their own fellowship in a house in Bayley's Yard, Newland Street, with William Wallis as their pastor. This small group was the first Baptist Church in Kettering, from which the Fuller Church ultimately grew.
At about the same time a second Baptist fellowship was established in Goosepasture Lane (now Meadow Road) under the leadership of Mr Wills, formerly pastor of the Independent Meeting but also dismissed from membership.
In about 1729 the two separate Baptist meetings merged, meeting together for worship on the common basis of believers' baptism and open communion.
After a while the church was in need of its own burial ground but the buildings in Goosepasture Lane had little or no land attached. Mr Beeby Wallis (great grandson of William Wallis), made available to the church his house, warehouse, barn, stable yard and gardens situated in Gold Street, worth a total of £350 but bought by the church for £139 14s 9d.